The Senior Citizens Council of Greater Augusta and the CSRA, Georgia, Inc. (The SCC) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that was founded on March 6, 1968, by a coalition of individuals and organizations who saw the senior population as people who merited respect, dignity, and deserved to be treated in accordance to their great value to their community. The founders identified a need for seniors to have a safe, active place for recreation, education, and socialization. They also needed a place to learn to protect themselves from scams, and to volunteer in the community while helping themselves. Since its inception, The Senior Citizens Council has developed a wide variety of quality programs and services to meet those needs, having served thousands of seniors and their families/caregivers, and provided thousands of community education hours while also utilizing seniors to impact the community.
The SCC was established during a called meeting of the United Fund Community Planning Committee on December 11, 1967. On March 6, 1968, we received the Agency’s charter. The Council was first composed of twelve local representatives of the city and county. The Council initially employed an Executive Director, two Program Directors, and a Secretary.
The SCC consisted of three Senior Centers with the main office at 1425 Walton Way in the Peabody Apartments, the second Center was in Ervin Towers at 1365 Gwinnett Street, and the third was opened on April 30, 1969 at Floyd Graham Elementary School in Hephzibah. Over the years The SCC combined the three locations into one and moved seven times before we arrived at our current location in downtown Augusta at 307 11th Street.
Since our opening, numerous programs have been established, and while some evolved and changed over the years, our primary goal has always been to follow our mission which “is to provide a diversity of services to senior adults and to enable them to apply their experience as a resource for meeting critical community needs.”
In our fifty plus years of service to the community, we have had the honor of the following Executive Directors' service:
- Lt. Col. Joseph Kent 1968-1974
- Ms. Betty Ladson 1974-1977
- Mr. Edward Catchings 1978-1979
- Mrs. Carolyn Bain 1979-1987
- Dr. Ronald W. Schoeffler 1987-2007
- Ms. Kathleen Ernce 2007- Current
Our current programs include the Advocacy Programs Department (Casework and Counseling; The Center for the Prevention of Elder Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation; Notary-on-Wheels; Managing Business Affairs that are Personal (MAP); Caregiver Resources; GeorgiaCares; and the Senior Corps Programs (Foster Grandparent Program and Senior Companion Program).
Our plans for the near future are to be able to expand our services to include a safe activity and exercise area for seniors; thereby, attracting “younger seniors” to the downtown area to help it to continue to grow.